Jane and Leland Stanford founded Stanford University in 1891 as a memorial to their only child who had tragically died of typhoid. In collaboration with Frederick Law Olmsted and Charles Coolidge, they designed and built a new University with quadrangles, arcades, sandstone walls and red clay tile roofs, all locally produced. Learn more about Stanford University's history.
Since its inception, Stanford has grown and has amassed a collection of buildings of international as well as local fame. It has representational works of local architects such as Bakewell & Brown, Arthur and Birge Clark (architects for the Lou Henry Hoover House National Landmark N553 and local Landmark 913) and John Carl Warnecke. Stanford also has noted work of legendary architects, among which Hanna House or the “Honeycomb House” designed by Frank Lloyd Wright is a National Landmark (N638).
Following the damage incurred in the 1906 earthquake, the University embarked on a rebuilding program recognized with a 2000 National Preservation Honor Award, the 1999 Governor’s Historic Preservation Award, and numerous awards from the California Preservation Foundation and the AIA.
Safegaurding this legacy today and for the future is a big responsibility, and commitment. On behalf of the University, the Office of the University Architect / Campus Planning and Design is charged to provide design leadership, preservation expertise, education and guidance. As historic stewards of these buildings and lands, the office of the University Architect / Campus Planning and Design, partners with University Archives, Stanford Historical Society, Department of Project Management, Buildings and Grounds Maintenance, Heritage Services and consultants which are leaders in the preservation field to:
- Conduct historical research
- Conduct surveys and studies.
- Plan cyclic maintenance projects.
- Provide guidelines.
- Implement initiatives.
- Provide project support and set a tone for preservation, restoration, reconstruction and rehabilitation of these buildings.